Saturday, June 1, 2024

Paddle Canada Level 2 - Day 1

 I've been wanting to do my Level 2 for a long time, but between family vacations, work and other things, I've never been able to line it up. But this year, it looks like the stars have aligned and I'm finally able to make it happen. 

But Mother Nature has the final say, especially here in Newfoundland and Labrador. We were supposed to do the 4 days of the course this weekend, including Friday and Monday, but with the forecast going beyond what was safe for Level 2 conditions, it was decided to put it off for 2 weeks, but we could do Day 1 today in Paddy's Pond. 

The forecast called for heavy rain in the afternoon, so the idea was to get on the water around 9 and get our training done and call it a day as early as possible to avoid the worst of the weather. 

It was wet, cold, and socked in with fog....but sometimes you just have to take what you can get. We started out with working on paddle strokes, and the recoveries. I have to admit I was nervous about a few things, as I am very out of practice with recoveries. 

I am doing the course through Newfoundland Kayak Company - The Newfoundland Kayak Company (nfkayak.com), and my instructors, Cathy and Gary were fantastic. They really did a lot to make us feel comfortable and it was very easy going. 

I got some great pointers on improving my forward stroke, and learned a couple new strokes that I never really practiced before. 

For the recovery portion, it wasn't as cold as I thought it was going to be, and I managed to successfully roll my kayak, which I haven't done since 2016 in Belize. It was nice to practice re-entry again...I haven't done that in years, and I certainly was rusty, and not as nimble as I was back before I had kids.

I'm really looking forward to the next section the course, especially the current work, as I have almost no experience with that to speak of, so I have a lot to learn there!




No comments: