Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Paddle Canada Level 2

 This past weekend I finally got my Paddle Canada Level 2 certification! Its something that I have wanted to do for a long time, and I'm proud to finally have it done. 

Overall it was a great course, and I certainly learned a lot, and learned what I have to work on. 

The biggest thing was the dynamic stokes, like the bow rudder and how to use them with edging. My eyes were really opened up to how much more maneuverable my kayak can be. 

Cathy and Gary were great instructors, and gave great feedback along the way. I think the biggest thing I need to work on is staying calm....I have a tendency to get excited in whatever I'm doing....even putting my spray skirt on....which leads to me fumbling more than I need to for sure. 

This course was also my introduction to paddling in currents and tides. It wasn't the best conditions for learning, but we did get to play around and try some things, now I just have to go and practice. 

Placentia Gut, waiting for a fishing vessel to pass

Day 3 - Ship Harbour area in Level 2 conditions

Day 4, Mad Rocks, Conception Bay. Not exactly Level 2 conditions, but we still got to play around and try some things

Cathy and Gary giving instructions on towing systems

On the way back

Now I have lots to practice and perfect over the summer. But I did discover that my 15 yr old drysuit is leaking on some of the seams, so I need that fixed!

No comments: