Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Centre Hill Trail

As we move into the fall, I find myself paddling less and hiking more. Back in September me and Trent hiked the Centre Hill Trail, in Sunnyside. The trail is approx. 10kms return, and took us about 3 hrs, including a stop to boil the kettle and have a cuppa tea.


The trail is well marked and maintained, and very easy except for the last bit, which is climbing the 1153ft to the top of Centre Hill. Its the highest point by far in the area, and was used as a fire tower from the 1930's to the mid 1960's.


The panaramic view from the top is amazing, and well worth the hike.

Centre Hill from a distance



Me from the summit, with Trinity Bay in the background



Facing South, with Sunnyside off in the distance

4 comments:

Lee said...

Nice!

I'm slowly getting back into climbing and hiking as well. Better when I can mix the two!

What a awesome view, great shots

Brian Newhook said...

Thanks for the comment Lee. I'm a bit of an armchair climber, I love watching videos and reading about climbing, but I have not the guts or skill required to do it myself. But I love hiking.

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your blog and can't wait to explore more. My family are also Newhooks that hail from Newfoundland but now reside in New England. I have moved to Oregon and love it here. Allot of the pics you have posted look oh so familiar and beautiful. Take care and I look forward to seeing more.

Regards,

BKhook

Brian Newhook said...

Hello Fellow Newhook! Thanks for the post, I hope you enjoy my blog. If you ever end up back on the island, look me up and I'll take you for a paddle.

Brian